Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9/20 – C-Town

Okay, maybe somebody out there can answer this question for me…why is it called C-Town if it’s in Broadview Hts? Shouldn't it be called B-Town? And it’s not just the bar. There’s C-Town Pizza and the C-Town quicki-mart (would you like a spoon straw for your Slurpee?).

Oh, but that’s not the only question I had. Read on, if you dare.

Why is it called a clam bake when the clams are not baked? And the answer is: Originally and/or traditionally, the items of a clam bake were stacked in layers of soaked seaweed and baked over glowing hot rocks in the sand. I’m thinkin’ that technically that’s not a clam bake either, since the wet seaweed would steam the stuff. Hey, what do I know?

But wait, there's more – unbeknown to me, we were picking up radio signals through Mudcat’s guitar. The chatter could be heard quite clearly through the ear buds, but not as easily just from the amp. When the first bits of chatter came through, I asked Jake (who was not wearing ear buds) if he could hear that. He did the concentrate on listening thing and then said no, so naturally I started to wonder if I’d finally taken that step through the looking glass and/or if I’d be able to find my way back. Sure would have made singing White Rabbit more interesting...not really, but it did make me wonder, because the voices in my head were doing the "turn or burn" speech. So, I asked Mud if he could hear the voices in my head. I wanted him to ask me if the voices in my head were telling me to repent like the voices in his head were telling him. When he answered that he could hear religious stuff too, it made me feel much better. Hearing the chit chat in between songs was amusingly annoying or annoyingly amusing, it sort of switched back and forth.

Oh yeah, they had a Big Buck hunting game there, but this one must have been the deluxe model, because it was also a safari game (see first post for Den Too for previous sighting of a Big Buck game). There was a patchwork of animal print on the base of this game and one of the prints was zebra. Oh guess what I was wearing...that’s right...zebra print. And let’s not forget about my rug (not that rug, ya big perv) that’s leopard and tiger. I was oh so too very afraid that the boys who were "hunting" would notice and turn the guns on me. They didn’t.

There was a crew at the end of the bar who were very happy with the songs we did. I was shocked and amazed to see them swaying with their arms up and singing along to I’m Leavin’ On A Jet Plane. One guy even did the lighter thing.

They danced for some of the songs and one guy did this weird dance thing with his sandal. I guess it was his version of dancing with a broom. Maybe he thought he was Fred Astaire. He wasn’t.

Pete and Linda ventured out to show their support. Thanks!

But, my favorite part of the evening was when people at the bar literally stopped in the middle of their conversation to turn around and watch Jake play. Yeah, he’s that good. And it happened a few times during the course of the gig. I don’t know if he noticed, but Mudcat and I both did. Way to go, Jamaica Jake!

No comments: