Sunday, September 23, 2007

9/22- Den Too
Happy 4th Year Anniversary!

It was like old home week being at Den Too again. They have some regulars. Christine, who sang with us last time we played there, compared it to Cheers. It's just a nice, friendly neighborhood bar.

Okay, enough with the endorsements. Let's get down to brass tacks.

I didn't notice this the last time we played there, but along with the usual video games of golf, bowling and NTN, they also have Big Buck Hunter. I kid you not. It's a hunting game. And we were in North Royalton, not North BFE.

There was a TV located about 2 feet above our heads, so I kept thinking that people were mesmerized by us, when in fact they were just watching TV. Oh well.

Part of Den Too's anniversary celebration included a free buffet, which was a dream come true to some of us...
Anyway, the buffet table had a chocolate fountain at the end of it complete with fruit for all your chocolate fountaining needs. So, of course all I could think about was drinking in all the chocolate and the ways in which to do that varied as the night went on. You'll probably figure out (if you didn't already know) that chocolate ranks right up there with M&C with me, which brings me to how I messed up my song -

In the Indigo Girls song "closer to fine" the chorus goes like this: I went to the doctor, I went to the mountain, I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain. Guess what I was thinking about when I sang the "drank from the fountain" part? That's right, that damned chocolate fountain. I kept picturing my glass of water as a glass of chocolate that I could sip through the straw. But, it didn't stop there. I started thinking that the more people drank, the less they would use the handy dandy toothpicks that could also double as a handle when stuck into the fruit that was waiting to be immersed in chocolate. And then I started thinking that those same people who would forgo the use of the toothpick handles in their fruit would eventually forgo the use of fruit and just stick their fingers in the chocolate fountain. Which lead me to think that I should have been there when they started that fountain up so that I could have had chocolate that didn't taste like other people's fingers. I was thinking that the best way to get the most chocolate from that fountain in the least messy way would be to stick a straw in it and make like a Hoover. And yes, I thought all this while in the midst of singing "closer to fine". Remember the song? Anyway, when the chorus came back around on the guitar, I was still thinking about that fountain so all I could do was sing words that rhymed with fountain (good thing that fountain wasn't a duck), so I sang "I went to the mountain, I went to the mountain".

Okay, got through that.

They also had the Miller Lite girls there and let me tell you, I kind of felt like a lesbian (or an old guy perv) 'cause those girls were hot. It was really hard (no pun intended) to not look at their parts, but I digress. I'm sure that some of you wish I would digress more, but you know what they say about wishing, don't you?

The hot Miller Lite girls were handing out free wrist bands and coolies. We found a new use for a coolie. All you pervs just cut it out, it wasn't for that. We had our own version of Pat. Remember the old Saturday Night Live? Well, if I had to make that reference, then you don't remember or you're not old enough to have seen it. Anyway, this person sitting at the bar was a cross between Pat and Foghorn Leghorn (remember the old cartoons-the really good cartoons?)
"Pat" decided that the coolie would make a great head band, which in turn made Pat's hair stick up like a rooster's and now you get the Foghorn Leghorn reference. But, what made it even funnier was that Pat had to keep checking the look in the mirrors at the end of the bar. Apparently, Pat was pleased with the look.

Well, I got to sing Bobby McGee in the the key of G rather than the key of Gee That's Low.

Oh yeah, they also had a cat. Pretty sure it was an outdoor cat, but it was very comfortable around people. Actually, I think it was a teenage feline - not a kitten, but not yet a cat.
Who cares. The point of the story is that when we were bringing out equipment to load up the van, the cat was just laying on his/her (don't know, didn't check) doormat and he/she just layed there looking up at us like we were no big deal until we set down the amp. He/she jumped up all excited like because the amp must have looked like the best giant scratching post EVER.
I had to pull the cat off of it, but it was no big deal. I thought perhaps he/she would latch on to me as a make shift scratching post, but thankfully I left without a case of cat scratch fever.
About midway through the van loading process, he/she decided that the inside of the van would make a really great place to hang out, so he/she jumped aboard. It would have made an amusing video to see Mud and Chloe trying to shoo or rescue (depending upon which person you were watching) the cat from the van. The rescuer won and the cat quickly dashed off to an alley.
So, would that make he/she an alley cat? I know - bad joke, but I work with what I have.

That's pretty much it or at least all that I can remember from that night.

No comments: