Sunday, June 15, 2008

6/7 – Mel’s Crews Nest

A private party in a private club. Now that’s private.

But, I need to start from the beginning (it’s a very good place to start, you know). Since this was on Put-In-Bay, the experience goes way beyond the gig.

Let’s see…during the drive out there we discovered that Nessie is still there and she’s still listing.

We saw some swans. Not the Swan who sings with us, but the water fowl.

Let me ask you this ~ if you saw a sign advertising waterfront property, wouldn’t you assume that the water would be a lake or an ocean? Yeah, me too. Well, it was technically waterfront property, but the water was more like a fountain pool, but with out the fountain.

While we were waiting in line to board the ferry, we saw a guy and 2 girls walking together. The guy was in the middle with a girl on either side of him and he was holding hands with both girls. The girls didn’t seem to mind. Neither did he, for that matter.

Ms. Motion Sickness (that would be me) did okay on the ferry ride over. I was shocked and amazed.

We set up early so that we could have some time to cruise the island. The Perry monument was open and according to Ranger Rick, it’s taller than the Statue of Liberty’s torch. That’s pretty tall. The view from the top was amazing. Ice cream (double chocolate chunk) in the park after the tour was way fun for people watching.

Jane, our hostess for the evening was a big fan of rock and roll. John and Marie were there and John proved to be a very nimble dancer. We actually had quite a few dancers. It seemed that a good time was had by all. I had a grand time, except for when a mosquito decided to graze on my neck during a song when I couldn’t do anything but let him feast.

The ferry ride back was an event all by its own self. Waiting in line for 2-1/2 hours was interesting. And no, I’m not exaggerating (this time). You can ask Mudcat and/or C-Man. They’ll tell you the same thing. I started a game of "I spy"to pass the time, but it was short lived. Of course, I had to be an ass and spy something green when we had a line of trees to the side of us and it was a specific leaf that I spied. Once we snaked around to the front-ish of the line, I spotted a tree with a wad-o-shade, so off I went to sit under it to wait out the time.
There were signs posted telling bikers that they were welcome and that’s a good thing, because 28 motorcycles exited the ferry that we ended up boarding. Yes, I counted them. What else did I have to do?

We finally boarded the ferry and got out of the van to stand on the deck during the ride back. The ferry started moving and so did the waves. The swells came over the front of the boat and as the first one hit, I was turned around saying something to Mudcat and never saw it coming. The back of me got completely soaked. That water was a titty bit nipply even though the air temp was hellish. I realized that probably wouldn’t be the only swell, so I made my way around the front of the van and just as I got to the other side, another swell hit, this time soaking the front of me. Apparently, I was the entertainment for the people standing on the upper deck. All I could hear was their collective "oooooooh" as I got drenched. Once again, I did okay with not getting sea sick (or lake sick in this case).

The heat got to C-Man, though so he ended up trying to not be sick all the way home. He made it all the way back with out hurling, which was a very good thing.

It’s been determined that we islanded successfully.

No comments: