Friday, August 3, 2007

7/27 - 7/29
Put-In-Bay!

I played the islands. I'm somebody now. We played at The Crew's Nest on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll try to remember as much as possible. Gonna be tough. It was a whirlwind weekend. Okay, here goes nothin'.

7/27 -
I made a new friend on the ferry ride over. Well, we actually met at the tiki bar while waiting for the ferry. Great idea putting that bar there. But of course the ferry shows up after I take 2 sips of my drink, so I chugged. Hey, I'm not proud (or tired). Anyway, my new friend Margaret and 25 of her closest friends were going camping for the weekend. Since it was just Margaret on the ferry by herself I wondered if she might be the only one who could see those 25 friends.
Not really. Geeze, I'm not that mean. But now that I think about it, she didn't have any camping gear with her...

We docked at the complete opposite end of the island from where the gig was, which I discovered after I called the boys to let them know I had landed. I guess my whining technique hasn't lessened over the years, because Mud came to get me so that I wouldn't have to walk.

They were very generous with the food and the drink there. I know if we had stayed any longer
that C-Man and I would have caused them to have to restock the pantry. We ate a lot.
Not nearly as much as that one bird did, though.

As I was making my way through the hordeurve table with my plate loaded down with snick-snacks, I hear this man say from behind me that it sure looked like there were a lot of calories on that plate. I was torn between thinking that had to be the worst pick up line ever and knowing that I'm still carryin' around last year's winter chubs, but I don't need that fact to be pointed out to me by some rich bastard. So, I decided to play nice and turned around with a smile on my face, thinking how I can't wait to get to the bottom of my mound-o-food and who do I see, but Larry and Sue! Previous thoughts evaporated (except of course the thought of chowing down!). We kibitzed for a while and then they came outside to hear us. They're just so cute.

We made another new friend, Doug who's mother-in-law was a back up singer for Elvis. Hey, gotta play by the rules - don't mess with other people's fantasies. His dog's name is Chloe, which he made a point to tell our Chloe. She took it well.

While we were playing, this brother and sister duo was running around chasing each other. They were kids. Guess I should have clarified that earlier. Anyway, the girl ended up in the gazebo and stopped to watch us. She frantically waved over her brother and pointed at us. They stood there inside the gazebo, side by side with their elbows on the railing and their chins in their hands while they watched us. It was the most angelic looking thing, which didn't even last as long as it took me to tell the story. Then they were off running around chasing each other again. Ah, youth. We do that and it's ADD.

We met some nice people who were on the ferry with Terry. They were bikers (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's probably a good thing it was dark when they arrived, because I'm pretty sure that their reception would have been way different had the rich folk been able to actually see them. They invited us to go out and play after the gig, but we didn't find them.
I guess you have to actually look for some one in order to find them. Perhaps that explains it.

Oh and let's not forget our accommodations. The Ritz it wasn't. Cracker or hotel. Bunk beds in a dorm. But not just any dorm. This dorm was at the end of the end of the end of a very long oil coated dirt road that had more twists and turns than a murder mystery. And we got in trouble within the first minute and a half of being inside. Our den mother was Large Marge. She shooshed us for being so loud. The boys got the dungeon suite. Very scary. Speaking of very scary, the shower not only had the nastiest mold encrusted shower curtain ever, but it also came complete with it's very own used washcloth wadded up in the corner. As far as I know that washcloth is still in there. I wonder how many tenants before me got to live with that washcloth. Eeeeeeeeew. But, hey it was air conditioned. It was heaven on earth. Really. I had the top bunk and I didn't figure out that the ends of the bunk were built in ladders until the last day. After I was done using the bed. It was most entertaining getting my own self in and out of that top bunk with no ladder. I found a plastic chair after the first night. Oh, and making the bed was an adventure all it's own. No, I didn't make my bed every day. I'm not a freak. The beds came all naked with the sheets and blankets folded up on them. Some assembly required.

We met a boy named Jeff (not Sue) who is in a band that was playing at the Round House.
He looked like he was about 15. I asked him the band's name and he said, "Go Go Gadget". I kept saying that the name was familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd heard it before. Finally he asked me if I'd ever watched Inspector Gadget. Bingo! No, that's a whole different game. Then I kept humming that stupid Inspector Gadget song.

That's about all I can (or choose to) remember from Friday. More about the rest of the weekend and tonight's gig later. Hey, I've been busy. Stop yelling at me. It's now officially tomorrow and I need to go sleep fast. B'bye.

No comments: