Monday, August 13, 2007

8/11 - Kelley's Island Brewery

The Rattler and I decided not to take the car over this time. Remember the Saturday Night Live commercial spoof called "bad idea jeans"? Yeah, that was us. For a couple of reasons:

1) Lola does not walk for transportational porpoises. When I'm at home I walk from the couch to the refrigerator and back again. When I'm at work I walk from my desk to the coffee pot and back again. I usually count these walks as exercise since they're repeated throughout the day.

b) The Rattler and I both wore black shirts (the sun was out in full force) and I had on my Frankenstein sandals, which I ended up carrying after about 10 steps.

When we finally arrived after many "are we there yet?" questions from yours truly, we discovered that we were part of the Matching Mojos. We all had on black shirts and khaki shorty pants. The boys all had on baseball caps, too (apparently, I didn't get that memo).

We ended up doing a Rolling Stones tribute with every song being a Stones song. We could have sung Tennessee Ernie Ford and it would have been a Rolling Stones song. It was pretty entertaining to see the confused looks on people's faces and to read their lips when they told the people they were with that they thought for sure that was a Beatles song, which of course it was.

C-Man was told to make an announcement that a couple there would be married in 3 weeks. The announcement was news to the groom-to-be. Oddly enough, they left shortly after that.

We had our resident dancer again. A cute little boy who was accompanied by his dad and his grandfather. It was very sweet. They did their own version of the bunny hop.

I had been looking forward to having an Island Devil beer, but it was still "green" and not yet ready for public consumption. However, after I whined to the owner about not being able to have it and that I'd been so looking forward to it, he whisked me away to the private brew room to get a sample. I know you think this is going to be a dirty story, but it's not. That's the only sample of his that I got and/or cared to have. The Matching Mojos know the real reason that Lola got her way! Pretty sure it had something to do with floatation devices...

We were set up in a much better location this time and hopefully next year when we go back they'll have electricity out there so everyone will be able to stay after dark.

While we were singing, I kept seeing island taxis driving past and as I was memorizing the phone number I was also wondering where they were when my bare feet were becoming one with stones and hot pavement. But, not to worry - Mark took the Rattler and me back to the ferry after the gig, which I thought was very nice of him.

None of us were in the party mood when we finished up, so we all hopped the ferry to come back home. We were all star gazing with Mud making up names of constellations which were oh so too very funny at the time, but of course I can't remember any of them now. CRS strikes again.
I did learn that Orion's Belt has a big old belt buckle that says Orion on it. Yes, I know he made that up too.

No comments: